Wednesday, February 10, 2010

When God Speaks Through Your Children!

First of all, I just want to thank everyone who sent me ideas for daily devotionals. I will use all of your ideas and suggestions. Thank you! Second, I just wanted to share a quick story about my daughter that really reminded me how God speaks to us through so many avenues.

Our family typically prays before dinner each night and when doing so we all hold hands, while my husband says grace. While we are very diligent about saying our thanks before dinner, that is really the only meal we pray before. Today at lunch, the kids and I took our seats around the table to eat a quick bite. I had gotten both children settled, blown on their grilled cheeses, filled cups, etc. I was just taking my first bite of my leftover Chicken and Rice from the night before (see recipe below), when my daughter looks at me accusingly and says, "Mommy, don't eat yet, we haven't thanked God." As I sit there staring at her with my mouth FULL of chicken I'm taken aback. Since it took me a bit to respond, she dutifully stuck out her fat little hand for me to grasp so that we could pray. Needless to say, after swallowing my bite, I grabbed both of their soft little hands and we blessed our meal. It shames me that it took my 3 year-old child to remember to thank God for all of our meals, not just dinner. It is times like this that remind me that God is speaking to me all the time, and that I just really need to be quite and listen. When he has to use my very loud 3 year-old to bring me to attention, I know that I haven't been as quiet and reflective as I need to be. Once again, thank you Lord for 3 year-old children!

On another note, I fixed a super easy recipe last night for our family. This is very popular in our house because I double it and my husband takes leftovers to work the next day for lunch (it reheats marvelously). It's definitely a family favorite. Enjoy!

Chicken and Rice (this serves just 4, but I always double it!)

4 Chicken Thighs (bone in and skin on!)
1 Can Cream of Chicken
2/3 C. Instant Brown Rice
1/2 envelope of Onion Soup Mix

Preheat the oven to 325. Combine the cream of chicken and the rice. Pour the mixture into a casserole dish (when I double it, I use a 9X13 pan). Lay your thighs on top of the rice mixture. Sprinkle the Onion Soup mix on top of the thighs. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment