Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Back From Vacation!

Well, it's been a long time! So sorry it's been so long, but a lot has been going on since my last post. For instance, I turned 30! Not as big of a deal as I was fearing, however, it happened and now it's over! Because of this momentous birthday, my wonderful husband took me on a little vacation to Sedona, Arizona. It's this trip that I wanted to write about today!

First of all, I want to give you a little background. Growing up, my family and I traveled quite a bit. However, most of our trips were either to the same places, or a least the same general areas. I have seen a decent chunk of Europe and have also visited our Southern neighbors in Mexico a few times. That being said, I have made it my goal to see all 50 states before I die. Now, I don't want to just drive through a state and count that as my "visit." I really want to experience a little bit of each of our states. Therefore, my first trip to Arizona was very impressive and I believe that I "experienced" quite a bit.

I'm not sure what you all know about Sedona, Arizona, but it's a small town about 2 hours north of Phoenix. It's kind of in a valley surrounded by the most beautiful red mountains you've ever seen. Since being married, my vacationing has changed a lot. Growing up, when on vacation, we made it our goal to see how little we could do over the course of our trip (with the exception of those oh so wonderful educational trips!). This usually meant sitting on a beach, reading, and eating. However, because my husband is a bit hyperactive, this doesn't fly for him. We have to be doing something at almost all times. While it's not quite as relaxing, it really does show you a lot more of where you are. So, needless to say, we spent most of the trip exploring all the amazing red rock formations, both on foot and on horseback. It was amazing. How anyone can look at a place like this and not believe in God is just amazing to me. It was truly one of the most spiritual places I've been. While I've seen the mountains in both Colorado and Utah, this seemed so different. I think it must have been the mixture of mountains and desert along with the distinctive red color of the earth. It was extremely healing.

While on our trip, I coerced my husband into taking a horseback tour through some of the country. It was fabulous. However, I enjoyed meeting the owner of this ranch almost as much as the actual ride itself. He was in his late 70s and owned the full working ranch where we rode. He has owned and lived on this ranch for 40 years, and grew up and lived on his Grandfather's ranch right next to it before that. As we were driving to the horses, he calmly pointed out where he had taken his first steps as a baby and commented that his last steps would probably only be a few hundred yards from that. His ranch is run by himself, some of his children, grandchildren and a couple of great-grandchildren also run around the property. While I found this to be so amazing, he really stopped me in my tracks when he started talking about his family being completely sustainable. I'm not sure why this took me aback. I guess when I think about the "green" movement and about people moving toward sustainability for their families, I think about young adults. After talking to Richard, though, it made me realize how wrong that thought process was. He told us about how he has taught each of his children, grandchildren, and soon the great-grandchildren how to grow all their own food, how to ride a horse, and even how to make their own diesel fuel from the corn they grow. Also, he made a point of saying that he taught each of them how to shoot a gun to kill their food, not to harm. They kill and butcher their own cows for food. He said that he wanted each of his offspring to know what it felt like to kill and to understand the permanence of such an action. While I was astounded by this, he simply stated that this is what they've always done on the ranch (with the exception of the fuel which is pretty new). It made me realize that this goal I have for my family is exactly what families have been doing for centuries. I must say that it was very refreshing to have that perspective thrown at me again! Once again, if I listen, God chooses all sorts of ways to talk to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment