Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Parsnips

Parsnips. Up until a week ago, I had never eaten a parsnip. They are strange, white roots that resemble an albino carrot. However, due to my new initiative to make my family healthier, I decided to take the leap and try all sorts of vegetables that I had always been a little weary of eating. Thus, the parsnip. A week ago, I was going through beef stew recipes trying to find "the one." In this search, I came across a recipe that used the blanc veggie. Putting on a brave face, I quickly peeled and chopped the alien root and popped it into my stew. While this recipe didn't top my stew list, I was so proud of "trying" parsnips that I bragged to my father about it. "What did it taste like," he asked a bit bewildered. I had no idea. Like most veggies in a stew, once they've been stewed it's pretty difficult to determine the individual tastes. Rats. I would have to try again.

Two nights ago I was making one of my favorite recipes of my mother's which is a sausage and tortellini soup. It calls for 2 carrots. I did not, however, have 2 good looking carrots. While I was mulling over this dilemma in front of my fridge, I happened to look down and spot the remaining parsnips from the stew recipe. They looked like a carrot, but how would they taste? Should I be brave and substitute one of my carrots for it's paler cousin? This could possibly ruin a soup that I had been craving all day. Squaring my shoulders, I pulled it out of the fridge and began chopping. About this time, one of my three year olds wanders in and wants to see what I'm doing. "What's that white thing?" my daughter asks. "It's a parsnip," I reply. "Is is good?" she questions. Well, since I have been taking a stand for healthier food, I have really been striving to set a good example for my kids. I could also, not in good conscience, lie to her. "Let's try it together," I reply to that sweet, curious face. The gauntlet had been thrown. I set aside my knife and bravely picked up two of the smallest chopped pieces. I handed one to her and popped the other in my mouth. After a couple of seconds she looks at my and says, "It tastes just like a carrot," hops off her chair and resumes playing. While I didn't think it tasted quite like a carrot (a little more tangy), I was very pleasantly surprised. I had actually stumbled upon another vegetable that I actually liked! It looked like this adventure into trying new things wouldn't be so horrible after all. Leave it to a 3 year old to, yet again, show you the way. Thank you lord for my precious babies and the lessons they teach me each day!

2 comments:

  1. Parsnips are wonderful in the company of other root vegetables doused in a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper, and set inside an oven to roast (atop a tin-foil-lined baking sheet).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this Whit! It made my heart smile! Thanks for inviting me to follow. I can't wait for the updates. xoxo

    ReplyDelete